When the Chicago, Kansas, and the Nebraska Railway Co. decided to extend the Rock Island System west from Topeka in 1887, developers purchased land and platted the town of Dwight. The town was named after Dwight Rathbone who donated land for the Dwight Methodist Episcopal Church. The Presbyterian and Methodist churches have been most important in the life of this community.
While visiting Dwight, one can find the Swartz School Museum located on Main Street. It was the first school to be established in the Ohio Township around 1871. The Swartz School originally was located about two and one half miles southeast of Dwight and was the first place of many public meetings.
For more information, check out the Dwight, KS website www.dwightks.net